I got home from camp last Saturday. I worked there for two weeks. I stayed there for the weekend in between because it takes about 2 1/2 hours to get there from our house. I was able to ride up to camp with our neighbor. She was bringing her grandson up for camp. I was able to ride about an hour towards my house with the cook at camp, then my dad met us and drove me the rest of the way home. So he didn't have to do that much driving to get me there and then home again.
I worked in the kitchen the first week. We were feeding about 150 people. I worked in the dish room the second week. We were feeding about 180 people then. When there are over 150 people at this camp it's a stretch to feed them all! So it was a lot of work the second week, but that's okay, it was family camp and that's fun. On staff they have 10 counselors, the director, the cook, the program director, craft trailer (a few people), three lifeguards, the kitchen (3 or sometimes 4 girls) , dish room crew (3), the maintenance manager, and a couple of people on maintenance. (And they had a lady in charge of the horses.) I think that's everybody. :) I think that one of the ladies in the craft trailer was also in charge of the camp store and snack shop. She also took care of the soda machines. The lifeguards were responsible for cleaning the bathrooms. They also took turns washing dishes. (There was supposed to be on lifeguard in the dish room for a little while after each meal.) The lady taking care of the horses got sick and had to leave for a few days, so one of the lifeguards helped take care of them. (They do a lot of jobs :) Also, the lifeguards ran the snack shop on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights. The kitchen girls ran the snack shop on Tuesday, and Thursday nights. I was in the snack shop a few times. That was interesting! They count the money before they start and write it down on the sheet. Then we would put a tally mark in the appropriate box each time we sold some thing. There was always a huge rush when it first opened. I think they need a scanner; that would make things a little quicker than marking them down. :) Many, many years from now they might do that. :)
The first picture is of three of the girls who worked in the kitchen and one who worked in the dish room with me the second week I was there. The second picture is of a really cute little boy at family camp. The third is two of the girls in the first picture. The one on the left is the camp director's daughter. I have know her since I was just a few months old. :)
Well I hope you enjoyed this really long post!
~Samantha
No comments:
Post a Comment